Blocking points for further D adoption

bob belcher via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jun 2 12:17:39 PDT 2016

On Thursday, 2 June 2016 at 15:40:28 UTC, Seb wrote:
>>I don't see it the same way. Yes, I agree my opinion is not
>>representative. I'd also say I'm glad I can do something about
>>this.
>
> Moved Andrei's post
> (http://forum.dlang.org/post/nipb14$ldb$1@digitalmars.com) to a
> new thread.
>
>>> [...]
>>>
>>> And what have we done about it? How long has it been since
>>> dfix existed,
>>> yet we still haven't really integrated it into the dmd
>>> toolchain?
>>
>>I've spoken to Brian about it. Dfix does not do lookup, which
>>makes it sadly not up for meaningful uses.
>
> How about we start calling dfix and dscanner "official", move
> them over to the Dlang github namespace and ship them with
> every release?

>>> There are many willing candidates right here. :-P
>>
>>Nice.
>
> We should start to list companies that use D - that solves the
> chicken vs. egg problem too:
> https://github.com/dlang/dlang.org/pull/1312

>>> And what have we done about this?
>>
>>http://tour.dlang.org is a good start.
>
> Yes it is good step, but we need to improve this and create
> more!
> Having a MOOC (usually >50K viewers!) would be the best way to
> move forward.

> I heard this a lot too.
> "You don't have a web server in your standard libary?? It's
> 2016!"
> We should close the gap to NodeJS, Go (and all the other
> languages) ASAP and standardize the API for the following:
>
> 1) event loop library (e.g. https://github.com/etcimon/libasync)
> 2) bare-metal http server with full HTTP2 support (e.g.
> https://github.com/etcimon/libhttp2)
>
> NodeJS provides such a low-level API and this has been a key
> part of their success,
> because so many libraries built on-top of this without breaking
> each other.
>
> https://nodejs.org/api/http.html
>
>>> What about linking to it in a prominent place on dlang.org?
>>> This isn't
>>> a big problem, AFAICT.  I don't think it takes months and
>>> years to put
>>> up a big prominent banner promoting vibe.d on, say, the
>>> download page of
>>> dlang.org.
>>
>>PR please. I can't babysit everything. I'm preparing for a
>>conference where I'll evangelize for D next week
>>(http://ndcoslo.com/speaker/andrei-alexandrescu/). As I
>>mentioned at DConf, for better or worse this is the kind of
>>stuff I cannot delegate.
>
> That could help, but it's needs more work:
> https://github.com/dlang/dlang.org/pull/1314

Hello,

My first post on dlang. :)

to #makedanggreatagain I guess dlang just needs to go where is
noise and fish people from there. That place is web and mobile,
and games
The same as go, adding a html library a tiny sinatra style web
framework given the speed of dlang, my bet this will manage to
add more people. Even this website is amazing how fast it is. I
know is vibe.d. But vibe.d is forever in beta mode.
Mobile. This is long and complicated. I read that there some
movements in this direction using android, but having in the next
few years one lib to build cross platform will be a kill
Games. Even here, adding a library to make with work with android
or ios. Similar with sprite kit, or cocoa will move more people.

tour.dlang.io is a nice beginning. Just a beginning.

dfmt tool. In tour.dlang.io is a different style of writting code
than what will generate for you.
code.dlang. The website looks bad. But is very fast.
I do have a domain, grab it last year,
http://dlangbyexample.com/. I would like to donate it to dlang
foundation and there someone should use https://www.gitbook.com/
and add a really nice website.

IDE. mono-d and visual studio. Rest of them are bad

I hope this post will not add any kind of rant over the people
here. I know you are amazing. I would love to help, but, I have
no idea how to start, where to go, what is the plan.