The Case Against Autodecode

Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jun 2 13:13:14 PDT 2016

On 06/02/2016 03:34 PM, tsbockman wrote:
> On Thursday, 2 June 2016 at 19:05:44 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>> Pretty much everything. Consider s and s1 string variables with
>> possibly different encodings (UTF8/UTF16).
>
> Your 'ö' examples will NOT work reliably with auto-decoded code points,
> and for nearly the same reason that they won't work with code units; you
> would have to use byGrapheme.

They do work per spec: find this code point. It would be surprising if
'ö' were found but the string were positioned at a different code point.

> The fact that you still don't get that, even after a dozen plus attempts
> by the community to explain the difference, makes you unfit to direct
> Phobos' Unicode support.

Well there's gotta be a reason why my basic comprehension is under
constant scrutiny whereas yours is safe.

> Please, either go study Unicode until you
> really understand it, or delegate this issue to someone else.

Would be happy to. To whom would I delegate?

Andrei