The Case Against Autodecode

ag0aep6g via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jun 2 13:23:05 PDT 2016

> They do work per spec: find this code point. It would be surprising if
> 'รถ' were found but the string were positioned at a different code point.

The "spec" here is how the range primitives for narrow strings are
defined, right? I.e., the spec says auto-decode code units to code points.

The discussion is about whether the spec is good or bad. No one is
arguing that there are bugs in the decoding to code points. People are
arguing that auto-decoding to code points is not useful.