The Case Against Autodecode

Marco Leise via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jun 2 15:10:29 PDT 2016

Am Thu, 2 Jun 2016 15:05:44 -0400
schrieb Andrei Alexandrescu <SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org>:

> On 06/02/2016 01:54 PM, Marc Schütz wrote:
> > Which practical tasks are made possible (and work _correctly_) if you
> > decode to code points, that don't already work with code units?
>
> Pretty much everything.
>
> s.all!(c => c == 'ö')

Andrei, your ignorance is really starting to grind on
everyones nerves. If after 350 posts you still don't see
why this is incorrect: s.any!(c => c == 'o'), you must be
actively skipping the informational content of this thread.

You are in error, no one agrees with you, and you refuse to see
it and in the end we have to assume you will make a decisive
vote against any PR with the intent to remove auto-decoding
from Phobos.

Your so called vocal minority is actually D's panel of Unicode
experts who understand that auto-decoding is a false ally and
should be on the deprecation track.

Remember final-by-default? You promised, that your objection
about breaking code means that D2 will only continue to be
fixed in a backwards compatible way, be it the implementation
of shared or whatever else. Yet months later you opened a
thread with the title "inout must go". So that must have been
an appeasement back then. People don't forget these things
easily and RCStr seems to be a similar distraction,
considering we haven't looked into borrowing/scoped enough and
you promise wonders from it.

--
Marco