Lifetime tracking

Timon Gehr via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jun 2 16:05:40 PDT 2016

On 03.06.2016 00:29, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 6/2/2016 3:10 PM, Marco Leise wrote:
>> we haven't looked into borrowing/scoped enough
>
> That's my fault.
>
> As for scoped, the idea is to make scope work analogously to DIP25's
> 'return ref'. I don't believe we need borrowing, we've worked out
> another solution that will work for ref counting.
>
> Please do not reply to this in this thread - start a new one if you wish
> to continue with this topic.

I'd like to point out again why that design is inadequate:

Whenever the type checker is using a certain piece of information to
check validity of a program, there should be a way to pass that kind of
information across function boundaries. Otherwise the type system is not
modular. This is a serious defect.