[OT] Things I like about Andrei

Carl Vogel via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Jun 3 14:30:57 PDT 2016

On Friday, 3 June 2016 at 02:17:51 UTC, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
> A lot of us, myself included, have been very critical of Andrei
> lately but I want to list of the excellent work he has done
> over the years:
>
> First, early D was very different to D of today. Andrei changed
> that, for the better. He's a genius of innovation with
> templates and good at getting to the bottom of generic code.
>
> The Range concept is excellent, the logical extension of
> iterators like slices are to pointers, and std.algorithm is
> generally brilliant.
>
> Many of the patterns we take for granted in D, from templates
> in general to conversion and literals on top of them, to ranges
> and algorithms, were principally designed and implemented by
> Andrei.
>
> std.experimental.allocator is very well done and the Design by
> Introspection is not just smart insight to the generic
> programming problem, but actually explored and explained in
> such a way that we can hook onto it.
>
> His talks and writing are amusing and informative, and his
> dedication unquestionable.
>
> Andrei Alexandrescu is a very good, innovative programmer and
> writer who invents and explains things that others can't even
> consider.
>
> We're lucky to have him with us!

I bought TDPL on sale whim a year ago, without any real interest
in using D--just curious what it's deal was. And I think I
devoured the whole thing in two evenings. It's one of the best
books about a programming language I've read. I learned a lot
from it---not just about D, but about language design and
programming as well. And it's just funny as hell.

Between the book and his talks, he's a great representative for
the language.

Like many folks, I only use D for hobby projects, and I could
drop it at any time. I find the things that keep me excited about
it are things I've read or heard from Andrei.