Fixed date to move to ddox for Phobos documentation

Seb via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Jun 4 09:10:14 PDT 2016

More than two and half years ago, Sönke added ddox builds for the
Phobos documentation. We all know that there are many reasons for
ddox - being able to generate single pages for methods is just
one, it also eliminates all the JavaScript hacks (e.g. the
quickindex menu, anchors, ...) that we have added over time to
deal with the shortcomings of ddoc.

This post originates from a recent discussion [2] that showed the
higher ranking of the ddox pages in search engines because of
those single pages, more static content and meta information.

To quote Adam [3]:

> ddox got a decent go up to here.
> But then we need to decide what's next - a clear goal,
> including a due date, gets us all aligned and removes a lot of
> the uncertainty on the author's side; it is some reassurance
> that they aren't wasting their time, and encourages outside
> teams to get onboard.

We got the MREF change into Phobos a month ago and Sönke has
fixed the last blocking bug with ddox (broken source code links)
a couple of days ago.

Imho it's quite impressive that he still pushes the project and
as Adam
correctly said - we need to make a decision and have a clear
deadline like 2.072 will be the last documentation build with
ddoc, once it's released we will remove the ddoc Phobos build and
make ddox (/library) the standard (with redirect, of course).
This gives us also two to three months to test it properly again
(it has been tested now for 2.5 years!!) and resolve issues if
occurring.

Does this sound reasonable to everyone?

[1] https://github.com/dlang/dlang.org/pull/267
[2] http://forum.dlang.org/post/575079DE.2040508@erdani.org