Blocking points for further D adoption

David via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Jun 5 06:52:12 PDT 2016

On Sunday, 5 June 2016 at 13:35:18 UTC, ag0aep6g wrote:
> On 06/05/2016 02:58 PM, David wrote:
>> [...]
>
> The different style pages are most probably dlang.org/phobos/
> pages and dlang.org/library/ pages. They are built from the
> same source, so they should contain the same information.
> Neither of them should be outdated.
>
> We're actively working on bringing the new style (/library/) up
> to speed. If you've hit broken links recently (in the last few
> days), it would help us if you could point them out.
>
> [...]
>> [...]
>
> Interesting. We've been thinking about this exact thing lately
> [1]. So from your fresh experience, the "Cheat Sheet" is not
> very helpful.
>
> If you scroll down on that documentation page you get to
> another table under the heading "Functions". It looks very
> similar to the cheat sheet, but the descriptions are different.
> (Having two almost identical tables like that is the problem
> we're trying to fix.) Would you consider the description in the
> "Functions" table more helpful than the ones in the "Cheat
> Sheet"?
>

> [1] http://forum.dlang.org/post/niv2hc$2l7k$1@digitalmars.com

Yes those descriptions below are much better. I guess I glossed
over them. I focused too much on the cheat sheet, because I
assumed the cheat sheet was the quick link to function main pages
(which seems to be the case). Perhaps this is a case where 'more'
isn't better? I'm not quite sure what the cheat sheet really is
providing...

I mean if it was an example of common uses of the function that
would be one thing. But I guess I'm not sure what information one
is supposed to get from the 'cheat' sheet.