The Case Against Autodecode

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Jun 5 15:51:48 PDT 2016

On 6/5/2016 1:07 AM, deadalnix wrote:
> On Saturday, 4 June 2016 at 03:03:16 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>> Oh rubbish. Let go of the idea that choosing bad fonts should drive Unicode
>> codepoint decisions.
>>

> Interestingly enough, I've mentioned earlier here that only people from the US
> would believe that documents with mixed languages aren't commonplace. I wasn't
> expecting to be proven right that fast.

You'd be in error. I've been casually working on my grandfather's thesis trying
to make a web version of it, and it is mixed German, French, and English. I've
also made a digital version of an old history book that is mixed English, old
English, German, French, Greek, old Greek, and Egyptian hieroglyphs (available
on Amazons in your neighborhood!).

I've also lived in Germany for 3 years, though that was before computers took
over the world.