Andrei's list of barriers to D adoption

Pie? via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Jun 5 19:30:55 PDT 2016

On Monday, 6 June 2016 at 02:20:52 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> Andrei posted this on another thread. I felt it deserved its
> own thread. It's very important.
> I go to conferences. Train and consult at large companies.
> Dozens every year, cumulatively thousands of people. I talk
> about D and ask people what it would take for them to use the
> language. Invariably I hear a surprisingly small number of
> reasons:

and it's taken you that long to now that the following are the
problem? (No offense... just seems like the following list is
obvious whether 1 or 1 googol)

> * The garbage collector eliminates probably 60% of potential
> users right off.

Duh! The claim is made that D can work without the GC... but
that's a red herring... If you take about the GC what do you
have? A ton of effort to build something that gets D to work
properly without the GC. It can be done but it isn't done except
by leet guru's who have the time and knowledge to do it. It is
not a built in option that works out of the box.

> * Tooling is immature and of poorer quality compared to the
> competition.

Duh! Every use Visual studio? Sure Visual D offers a glimpse of
hope, but only glimpse. D has some cool stuff but that's all it
is for most users in my guestimation.