Andrei's list of barriers to D adoption

Jack Stouffer via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Jun 5 21:38:15 PDT 2016

On Monday, 6 June 2016 at 04:17:40 UTC, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
> Though, I wish D would just own its decision instead of bowing
> to Reddit pressure. GC is a proven success in the real world
> with a long and impressive track record. Yes, there are times
> when you need to optimize your code, but even then you aren't
> really worse off with it than without it.

While I understand that some people can't afford a GC, this has
confused me as well.

I never understood the large amount of people on /r/programming
complaining about the GC when the vast majority of software is
written in one of the following languages: C#, Java, PHP, Python,
JavaScript. Those have to cover at least 80% of all software
projects in the US and not only do they have a GC, they force you
to use a GC. This just shows to me that /r/programming is not a
representative sample of programmers at all.

The anti D's GC thing has become meme at this point. I have
literally seen only one person on /r/programming complain about
Go's GC, despite Go being a slower language overall.