Andrei's list of barriers to D adoption

Laeeth Isharc via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Jun 6 01:00:30 PDT 2016

On Monday, 6 June 2016 at 05:49:53 UTC, Ethan Watson wrote:
> There's definitely an information war that needs to be won.
> That D has been around for 15-odd years and is still considered
> an emerging language is something of a problem.

Hi Ethan.

I enjoyed your talk, and thanks for this.

But don't you think that as a language D has intrinsically
matured quite slowly?  Sociomantic began in 2008,or 2009,whenever
it was,  but at the time given where the language was that must
have been quite a courageous decision if one thought one might be
using it to process large amounts of data.

These is nothing wrong with maturing more slowly - indeed maybe
more complex creatures take time for everything to come together.
Things develop at their own pace.

Ie it's important to go to the root of the challenge - it's a
different thing if the language has been ready for a decade and
adoption is perceived to be slow than if it's been ready for some
uses for maybe five years and people have that perception.

> I linked my DConf talks on a games industry forum, and the
> first response was that "It looks like a poor man's Rust". A
> notion I quickly dispelled, but it's a mindset that needs
> solid, linkable examples to work against.

Agree about this.   Also to have a few different channels by
industry because I guess what's important for you is different
for  bio informatics and different again for me in finance.   In
addition there's a tribal and social proof aspect and people
relate more easily to use cases closest to what they wish to do.

> Echoing the need for decimal support. I won't use it myself,
> but I know it's critical for finance.

In banking maybe, and it would be nice to have, but large parts
of finance (I am on the hedge fund side) don't need it so much.