Andrei's list of barriers to D adoption

Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Jun 6 01:46:07 PDT 2016

On Mon, 2016-06-06 at 07:00 +0000, Andre Pany via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Monday, 6 June 2016 at 06:29:27 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> > On 6/6/16 6:17 AM, Andre Pany wrote:
> > > to be usable for companies which want to create economic
> > > software,
> > > in my opinion D lacks std.decimal.
> >
> > Do C, C++, Java, Go, or Rust have a standard decimal type? --
> > Andrei
>
> With java 7 there is the big decimal library in java:
> https://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/api/java/math/BigDecimal.html
>
> Kind regards
> André

It is such a real pain to use though, at least from Java.

A number of finance organization specifically went with Groovy to avoid
the hassle: Groovy uses BigDecimal as the default floating point type
and provides sensible expression syntax (unlike Java). These companies
were overjoyed when Groovy got a static compile mode. :-)  Kotlin can
also do the right thing with BigDecimal, and does.

So yes the Java Platform has a usable BigDecimal, but Java does not.
Fortunately there are other languages on the Java Platform.

BigDecimal is a "Huge Win"™

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk