Andrei's list of barriers to D adoption

Mike Parker via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Jun 6 02:21:50 PDT 2016

On Monday, 6 June 2016 at 09:07:32 UTC, tsbockman wrote:

> The Windows build for DMD, etc. seems to require tools that
> Microsoft no longer distributes publicly. I asked about this,
> but no one replied...
>
> http://forum.dlang.org/post/lzmnllscqyyuqlusrwwe@forum.dlang.org

It would seem that most of the people who want to build custom
DMD binaries are Linux users, so the Windows build system doesn't
get the attention it should. Perhaps if more people were trying
to build on Windows, it would be a different story (because we'd
surely have more PRs). What we need is someone who lives and
breathes Windows development to maintain it so that it uses
whatever MS toolchain is available on the system and is always up
to date. Still, I don't see that this makes Windows a second
class citizen. Again, DMD works out of the box on Windows.