Andrei's list of barriers to D adoption

NX via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Jun 6 07:00:10 PDT 2016

On Monday, 6 June 2016 at 13:51:30 UTC, NX wrote:

> This.
>
> I think the biggest problem about D is it's trying to satisfy
> *everyone*. It's literally combining C++, Java, Python, and
> ~the like. At some point it even tries to mimic Rust! Trying to
> be everything at once is key po-----

-------int of failure. You try to be everything, then you see
you're non of them. There is no clear vision what D is aiming to
be.

Think about it. Let's say we seamlessly combined GC + borrow
semantics + manual memory management. How can you expect a
library writer to decide it's way? There are way too many things
to consider. And then we may write 2-3 versions of the same lib;
say, one that uses GC and the other one that requires manual
memory management. What a mess!

D have GC. I am completely fine with GCs. But there are things
that hurt rea