Andrei's list of barriers to D adoption

Observer via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Jun 6 10:37:20 PDT 2016

On Monday, 6 June 2016 at 15:06:49 UTC, Carl Vogel wrote:
> I believe a big issue for D, and for any not-mainstream
> language, is being straight about what works and what doesn't.
> D is not alone in this, but I often feel I'm sold on features
> that I later find out are not fully implemented or have big
> holes in them. The limitations themselves aren't the
> problem---the trust is the problem. I never know if I can tell
> someone else "D can do that" safely (turning off the GC is a
> good example---it took me weeks of reading forums and
> documentation to see how practical that really was after
> initially reading that it was straightforward.)

I completely agree with this point.  I read TDPL cover-to-cover,
and got excited about writing a large, complex, multi-threaded
program in this language.  Then I started to look at Web
resources,
and read http://p0nce.github.io/d-idioms/#The-truth-about-shared .
Suddenly it looked like the language was far less stable than I
had
believed, and that realization put the brakes on my investing time
in this direction without a lot more investigation.