Andrei's list of barriers to D adoption

Johnjo Willoughby via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Jun 6 11:21:49 PDT 2016

On Monday, 6 June 2016 at 04:24:14 UTC, Jack Stouffer wrote:
> On Monday, 6 June 2016 at 02:20:52 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>> * Documentation and tutorials are weak.
>
> I never understood this, as I've always found D's docs to be
> pretty average.

If you understand why they are "pretty average" you can imagine
what would make them better, that gives you two reference points
from which you can extrapolate back to a point at which they are
"fairly crap".

"fairly crap" on the graph is where new users come in because...

1. They are not yet fully invested in D, so do not have the
inherent bias of a convert.
2. They do not have long familiarity with the docs.

All that aside, it doesn't actually matter what you think or
whether you understand why it is a common complaint. It is simply
a fact that a lot of new users find the documentation to be
"fairly crap". So you can either choose to...

1. Flap your hands and bury your head in the sand.
2. Say it doesn't make sense, these people must be morons.
3. Fix the documentation to make it more accessible to new users.

1 and 2 are the current solution from what I can see.