Andrei's list of barriers to D adoption

Danni Coy via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Jun 6 11:43:11 PDT 2016

On Mon, Jun 6, 2016 at 7:13 PM, Ethan Watson via Digitalmars-d
<digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:
> On Monday, 6 June 2016 at 07:18:56 UTC, Guillaume Piolat wrote:
>>
>> - well there is an AAA game using it now,
>

> Replying solely to highlight that Unreal Engine has garbage collected since
> forever; and Unity is a .NET runtime environment and all the GC frills that
> come with it. GC in the AAA/indie gaming space is hardly a new concept.

And Unity has had some pretty serious scalability problems that come
from this decision and with unreal the garbage collected components
are optional, and when epic goes to push performance, they write it in
C++.

Having said that there are garbage collectors out there that are
realtime friendly, neither Mono nor D as far as I can tell are perform
well in this senario.

Personally I would accept either a Garbage collector that guaranteed
me better than 5ms latency or manual memory management.