Andrei's list of barriers to D adoption

David Soria Parra via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Jun 6 13:11:30 PDT 2016

On Sun, Jun 05, 2016 at 07:20:52PM -0700, Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> Andrei posted this on another thread. I felt it deserved its own thread.
> It's very important.
> I go to conferences. Train and consult at large companies. Dozens every
> year, cumulatively thousands of people. I talk about D and ask people what
> it would take for them to use the language. Invariably I hear a surprisingly
> small number of reasons:

>From my personal perspective:
 - Compiler bugs are a real issue. At one point I had to have a dev-build of DMD around.

> * The garbage collector eliminates probably 60% of potential users right off.

 - If you think as  a C++ competitor you are right, I personally think D is more a Python
   competitor. I think about it as Python in fast. Or "GO" with better C compatibility. So
   I consider it more a glue language than trying to compete with the lowest layer of an architecture (C++)
   which creats a lot of architectual dependencies to change it.

> * There's no web services framework (by this time many folks know of D, but
> of those a shockingly small fraction has even heard of vibe.d). I have
> strongly argued with Sönke to bundle vibe.d with dmd over one year ago, and
> also in this forum. There wasn't enough interest.

 - Yes please

 - Debian/Fedora packages for DMD, LDC, GDC, should be a one click away to get stuff installed.

 - Better libraries. Like "batteries" included. Like a proper DB interface is missing for example,
   besides that it's already a great tool for glueing stuff together in fast.

   - Other missing things: nice HTTP api that is not curl, but easier. Protbuf/Thrift integration (thrift exists).

Just my 2cents,