Andrei's list of barriers to D adoption

Satoshi via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Jun 6 14:18:28 PDT 2016

On Monday, 6 June 2016 at 20:33:14 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 6/6/2016 12:44 PM, Satoshi wrote:
>> When I told of D to my boss he had a couple of reasons why not
>> to use D for
>> development of our products.
>>
>> * Backward compatibility with existing code.
>> * D is much more complex than C++
>
> More complex? Wow!
>

>> * Not enough tutorials and solved problems in D on stack
>> overflow (LOL)
>> * We have problem to recruit a good C++ not a good D
>> programmer. (1/100 is good)
>> * My boss does not have free time to learn new things...
>> * Using GC is strictly prohibited in realtime apps. And D does
>> not have an
>> compiler supported ARC
>> * D without GC or ARC is not powerful as it can be.
>> * More and more people are dumber, we must write our programs
>> for later re-usage
>> by any junior what we must employ. C++ is in this way much
>> more easier than D,
>> cuz you know what every line of your program do. Employ C++
>> junior programmer
>> and let him to learn D and then work on our projects is not a
>> good (and
>> cost-effective) idea.
>
> C++ for junior programmers is easier? Wow!
>
>> * Not everyone is interested in programming, sometimes people
>> are doing it just
>> for money.

Yes.
D have much more features than C++ to learn before you can use it
in the right way.

I never met programmer who start with D as a first language but I
know many poeple who started with C++. You cannot be objective in
this case. It's just your point of view.

I made OS in C++ then I rewrote it into D and I must say I had
much more problems with D than with C++.