Andrei's list of barriers to D adoption

David via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Jun 6 17:02:26 PDT 2016

On Monday, 6 June 2016 at 21:25:07 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 6/6/2016 1:36 PM, Dave wrote:
>>>
>>> More complex? Wow!

>>> C++ for junior programmers is easier? Wow!

>> Most learn C++ in college. So they have a 'headstart'
>
> Even acquiring minimal competency in C++ has a very long
> learning curve, or perhaps I just have a different idea of what
> minimal competency is. Heck, the C++ code I wrote just a few
> years ago I regard as crap today.
>
> My personal pet peeve are junior programmers who think they get
> it, find some perverted corner case in the language, and build
> their entire application around that. They confuse their
> mastery of the corner case with competence.
>
> (This happens with all languages, not just C++, it's just that
> C++ provides so many opportunities for it!)

D is a little bit harder than most considering the lack of
tutorials and the chaotic documentation that I have eluded to.
Consider this:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8BGQ3CfPBs

I saw this series literally the day AFTER they released Swift.

I find lots of D talks, but nothing even REMOTELY close to this.
I have to fall back onto your documentation that is littered with
non-useful examples and broken links.

This isn't a knock on YOUR work personally. Every time I learn a
detail of this language I am pleased with the solution (maybe
with a slight caveat of the GC). It's just how long it takes to
figure it out and learn what is needed to do things right.