Andrei's list of barriers to D adoption

Andre Pany via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Jun 6 20:40:18 PDT 2016

On Monday, 6 June 2016 at 22:21:45 UTC, jmh530 wrote:
> On Monday, 6 June 2016 at 21:28:14 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>>
>>> The reason is that otherwise, you've just limited your apps
>>> to handling a maximum amount of $21,474,836.48.
>>
>> I wouldn't mind running into that problem :-)
>>

> It's really not that hard when you consider that many
> institutional investors wouldn't even consider investing in
> mutual funds with that amount under management. Vanguard has
> mutual funds with 100+ billion. I imagine their NAV (net asset
> value) calculations have to be exact to dollars/cents too.

In addition to the finance sector there are also a lot of other
industries
which depends on decimals, e.g. all industries dealing with
sensors and
measurements. The requirements for them (precision and scale) are
very different. There could be very small values with a lot of
numbers
after the decimal separator, which needs to be exact.

Kind regards
André