Andrei's list of barriers to D adoption

H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Jun 6 22:38:25 PDT 2016

On Tue, Jun 07, 2016 at 05:39:37AM +0000, ketmar via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Monday, 6 June 2016 at 05:49:53 UTC, Ethan Watson wrote:
> > Echoing the need for decimal support. I won't use it myself, but I
> > know it's critical for finance.
>
> funny thing: those "financial sector" most of the time doesn't give
> anything back. adding special decimal type complicating the compiler
> and all backends. i myself never needed that for my whole lifetime
> (and this is more than two decades of programming, in various free and
> commercial projects).
[...]

A Decimal type isn't hard to implement as a user-defined type. I don't
understand the obsession with some people that something must be a
built-in type to be acceptable... user-defined types were invented for a
reason, and in D you have the facilities of making user-defined types
behave almost like built-in types in a way no other language I know of
can.

Same thing goes with a fixed point type. People keep complaining about
it, but honestly if I were in the finance sector I'd implement the type
myself in a couple o' days and put it up on code.dlang.org or something.
It's not *that* hard.

To provoke is to call someone stupid; to argue is to call each other stupid.