Andrei's list of barriers to D adoption

Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jun 7 01:05:58 PDT 2016

On Mon, 2016-06-06 at 16:56 +0000, Wyatt via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Monday, 6 June 2016 at 14:27:52 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer
> wrote:
> > I agree. It's telling that nearly all real-world examples we've
> > seen (sociomantic, remedy games, etc.) use D without GC or with
> > specialized handling of GC.
>
> I doubt either of the two you named would change, but I wonder
> how different the tenor of conversation would be in general if
> D's GC wasn't a ponderous relic?

So instead of debating this endlessly, I think this is about the tenth
time this has come up in the last two years, why doesn't a group of
people who know about GC algorithms get together and write a new one?

Java has had a large number of GCs over the years: new knowledge, new
algorithms, new implementation lead to better performance.

Go has had at least three GCs as new knowledge, new algorithms, new
implementation lead to better performance.

D has had lots of discussion on email lists but no-one has followed
this up with actually doing something that resulted in a change.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk