Andrei's list of barriers to D adoption

Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jun 7 01:26:36 PDT 2016

On Mon, 2016-06-06 at 22:38 -0700, H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d wrote:

[…]
> A Decimal type isn't hard to implement as a user-defined type. I
> don't
> understand the obsession with some people that something must be a
> built-in type to be acceptable... user-defined types were invented
> for a
> reason, and in D you have the facilities of making user-defined types
> behave almost like built-in types in a way no other language I know
> of
> can.
>
> Same thing goes with a fixed point type. People keep complaining
> about
> it, but honestly if I were in the finance sector I'd implement the
> type
> myself in a couple o' days and put it up on code.dlang.org or
> something.
> It's not *that* hard.

It is certainly the case that now there is the Dub repository, it is
now feasible to think in terms of library solutions of things not in
Phobos. Till then if it wasn't it Phobos it didn't exist.

Yes organizations can implement their own, but I bet they would think
twice about putting it into the Dub repository.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk