Andrei's list of barriers to D adoption

Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jun 7 01:31:09 PDT 2016

On Tue, 2016-06-07 at 05:39 +0000, ketmar via Digitalmars-d wrote:

[…]
> funny thing: those "financial sector" most of the time doesn't
> give anything back. adding special decimal type complicating the
> compiler and all backends. i myself never needed that for my
> whole lifetime (and this is more than two decades of programming,
> in various free and commercial projects).

Financial organizations generally want all their language
infrastructure for free (GCC, Python, Eclipse) anything they write
themselves is treated as asset and so theirs not for anyone else.

Show them PyPy is 30x faster than CPython for their use case but needs
£50,000 to be production ready, and they carry on using CPython. (And
waste millions of £s in staff time waiting for Python codes to finish.)

> i'd say: "you want it? DIY or GTFO."

That leads to them using Java, Scala, C++, C# and Python. Which they
do.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk