Andrei's list of barriers to D adoption

Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jun 7 01:36:55 PDT 2016

On Tue, 2016-06-07 at 06:23 +0000, Andre Pany via Digitalmars-d wrote:

[…]
> In my opinion passionate D developer will build the missing parts
> themselves. I also developed my own decimal library. But the
> developers starting with D and which rather want to build content
> instead of the missing parts won't. Also there is a much higher
> trust if a library is provided within phobos than provided from a
> single person in terms of long time support.

Forget Phobos, be agile: get your stuff out on GitHub and into the Dub
repository early, announce it, get people using it and feeding back to
improve it. Be first to market and get traction.

The evolution of Go, Rust, and Ceylon has been about library
development not in the central library but in easily accessed and used
third-party libraries. Yes the central library core is important, but
the real development, and traction, action is outside that.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk