Andrei's list of barriers to D adoption

Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jun 7 02:03:15 PDT 2016

On Tue, 2016-06-07 at 08:41 +0000, Ola Fosheim Grøstad via Digitalmars-
d wrote:
> On Tuesday, 7 June 2016 at 08:31:09 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
> > Financial organizations generally want all their language
> > infrastructure for free (GCC, Python, Eclipse) anything they
> > write themselves is treated as asset and so theirs not for
> > anyone else.
>
> So basically no advantage in having them use your tools?

From my experience as a trainer in those organizations… no.

> > That leads to them using Java, Scala, C++, C# and Python. Which
> > they do.
>
> How does that benefit C++ if they never contribute anything?

It doesn't.

As a counter-point to the "downer" on financial institutions and
contributing back, it perhaps should be noted that Goldman Sachs did
release their Java data structures framework as FOSS, but I think it
hasn't gained much traction. Also there is Jane Street Capital's
contributions to OCaml.

However, in the main, financial institutions do not like giving back.

Where there is some giving back is organizations that work with the
financial institutions. Python has a number of organizations
contributing to Python and library development who get their income by
training or consulting to financial institutions.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk