Andrei's list of barriers to D adoption

Ola Fosheim Grøstad via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jun 7 02:10:00 PDT 2016

On Tuesday, 7 June 2016 at 08:54:32 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 6/7/2016 1:22 AM, Ola Fosheim Grøstad wrote:
>> So this is solved in modern C++.
>
> This is where we diverge. A language isn't safe unless it can
> mechanically guarantee that unsafe constructs are not used.
> Saying "don't write unsafe code" in C++ does not make it safe
> language.

C++ isn't a safe language, but if you are proficient in modern
C++ then memory issues aren't the big hurdle. I find the
syntactic mess that comes from having N different convoluted ways
of doing the same thing in meta-programming to be more
problematic in day-to-day programming than safety issues.

> How would you know some random 10,000 line piece of C++ code is
> using std::vector instead of [ ]?

Static analysis tooling? But I don't use std::vector. If you only
"borrow" access to an array you should use gsl::span (a slice).