Andrei's list of barriers to D adoption

Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jun 7 02:14:07 PDT 2016

On Mon, 2016-06-06 at 22:45 +0000, Carl Vogel via Digitalmars-d wrote:

[…]
> I get that and agree. My point was a different one -- that these
> conversations are about a totally hypothetical RC implementation
> that we all imagine is perfect, and so we just discuss
> theoretical GC vs RC tradeoffs. The real one that gets made is
> going to have bugs and unexpected corner cases. So the risk is
> that at some point we'll all run to reddit and say "Tada, no more
> GC" and folks will then just say "D has RC, but it's buggy and
> unreliable and doesn't work when [insert anecdote]"
> […]

I suspect what will actually happen is that people will every so often
raise these points and have long threads of debate and yet again do
nothing.

RC is fine, cf. Python. GC is fine, cf. JVM.

D has a GC that can be switched off. Let's go with that. So the status
quo is fine per se. The discussion should only be about whether this GC
is good enough, and if it isn't write a new one. JVM did this, Go did
this, D just has debates.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk