Andrei's list of barriers to D adoption

Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jun 7 02:29:35 PDT 2016

On Mon, 2016-06-06 at 18:03 +0000, Ola Fosheim Grøstad via Digitalmars-
d wrote:

[…]
> GC in Go is not an issue, because in Go the concurrent GC is
> basically what it has to offer in addition to builtin decent HTTP
> and cloud-server adoption.

That is the current state after 7 years of development, and at least
three GCs. The arguments about GCs in the Go mailing list were almost
similar to those in these D mailing lists. The crucial difference the
full time Go developers did something. D appears to not have that
rather  crucial resource.

> GC is Go would have been a big big issue if Go was not designed
> for it or tried to present itself as a system level programming
> language.

Go was always, and always will be a GC language, very true. However it
is, and always has been, emphasized as a systems programming language.
Their "strap line" is effectively that GC is not a problem for systems
programming. And they are right. Which is why D has no problem with
being a GC language.

> For performance you would still not use Go, you would use either
> C++ or Rust. But few servers in the cloud need those extra 20%.

Go has blossomed due to the Web niche but it is used elsewhere. If C++
and Rust can only offer 20% improvement they are dead in the water. I
am sure that by appropriate adjustment to the number of processors a
well designed Go program can go far faster that 20% faster. The CSP
emphasis of Go application design is a wonderful thing. Now I can use
Kotlin+Quasar as well as Groovy+GPars to push this same message. Sadly
D doesn't yet have an equivalent so therefore has a problem.

I would love to create a CSP thing for D but I cannot give the time to
do this on my own.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk