Andrei's list of barriers to D adoption

Ola Fosheim Grøstad via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jun 7 02:33:44 PDT 2016

On Tuesday, 7 June 2016 at 09:03:15 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
> As a counter-point to the "downer" on financial institutions
> and contributing back, it perhaps should be noted that Goldman
> Sachs did release their Java data structures framework as FOSS,
> but I think it hasn't gained much traction. Also there is Jane
> Street Capital's contributions to OCaml.

I think big corporations releasing internal frameworks doesn't
add much in general. They often "change the language" by
requiring programmers to adapt a specific paradigm on a very
basic level that has been aggregated over time. Even Qt and moc
has such issues.

Internal libraries can sometimes be reworked to something more
general, but frameworks are usually a waste of time if it has not
been used by a very large number of projects while being
developed.

> Python has a number of organizations contributing to Python and
> library development who get their income by training or
> consulting to financial institutions.

*nods*

So you basically need very large scale adoption before you get
the benefits. Which kind of makes it irrelevant in this context,
where the goal is to gain traction.