Andrei's list of barriers to D adoption

Steven Schveighoffer via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jun 7 06:39:19 PDT 2016

On 6/7/16 9:29 AM, ketmar wrote:
> On Tuesday, 7 June 2016 at 13:15:38 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
>> My opinion, the first optional one to include is the forking GC, since
>> it has been in production for years for one company. We may even find
>> some bugs in it to help out Sociomantic, since they have discovered
>> and helped fix so many problems with D :)
>
> Dicebot even ported it to D2 about year ago. but afair it has some
> unsolvable corner cases, like deadlocking if one of the threads is
> malloc'ing while forking, or something like that. Dicebot probably knows
> better.

Right, but without a way to try it out, you will never get any help. I'm
not sure of Dicebot's preferences, but I can imagine porting
Sociomantic's GC to D2 may not be his preferred task. So doing something
you don't want to do (possibly) with no help doesn't usually lead to a
successful outcome.

I just read elsewhere that a GSoC student is working to achieve the goal
of making the GC swappable and adding Reiner's precise scanning GC. I
consider this to be essential work, I hope we can get this rolling soon!

-Steve