[OT] Andrei's list of barriers to D adoption

Laeeth Isharc via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jun 7 07:01:14 PDT 2016

On Tuesday, 7 June 2016 at 09:45:36 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
> Jane Street are indeed well-known and well-renowned for their
> work with OCaml. It works for them but remains a small niche
> with little traction.

Perhaps, but my point is that there's a company that adopted a
less-known language without starting out with any grand plan to
do so, and they clearly have contributed very substantially to
that language community in terms of money and I would guess code
(as well as hiring key people from Ocaml community).

> Bloomberg actually do a significant amount of indirect
> give-back for C++ and a little for Java: they do a lot of
> sponsoring of C++ events and have staff on standards
> committees. We at ACCUConf like Bloomberg.
>
> I haven't been aware of Scala give-back from Morgan Stanley, I
> shall hunt it out. The organizations I know using Scala
> generally stay pretty quiet about it other than they are using
> it. Ditto for Python.

So perhaps you might agree that just the few examples that
immediately came to mind demonstrate that it isn't the case
finance doesn't and wouldn't give back.  I don't know the details
of MS involvement with Scala (except that they use it), but a
Scala guy I talked to was concerned that they were having too
much influence of the development of the language - so I guess
there must have been some money and code involved.

>> Finance is just one more industry, but it's quite a pragmatic
>> one and still has a decent share of global IT spending.
>
> I have made quite a lot of my income over the last 7 years from
> finance industry, commercial banking and hedge funds, I am not
> complaining. :-)

Glad to hear.  But maybe in that context one should be thoughtful
about suggesting entire industries are unpromising targets.  It's
quite heterogeneous, and hard to speak in broadbush terms.