Andrei's list of barriers to D adoption

Ola Fosheim Grøstad via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jun 7 11:00:43 PDT 2016

On Tuesday, 7 June 2016 at 17:09:38 UTC, Dave wrote:
> Incorrect. Pike, on a panel with D's Andrei, even said that
> when they labeled Go a systems programming language it was kind
> of taken in a way they didn't mean. It's more of a server
> programming language. I don't think Pike would agree that Go
> would be the best choice for an OS. I'm sure you can create
> one, and I'm sure he'd agree with this, but I doubt he'd
> personally reach for it.

There was actually a person from an academic OS research team
that wrote about adopting Go (probably changing it) for an
experimental OS implementation. Someone on the Go team thought it
was a good idea and also that they could do it using garbage
collection... so well... I am not sure if they are sober about
what Go is suitable for... ;-)

(but yes, they are no longer developing it as a system level
language)