Andrei's list of barriers to D adoption

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jun 7 11:24:33 PDT 2016

On 6/7/2016 11:19 AM, Jack Stouffer wrote:
> On Tuesday, 7 June 2016 at 18:15:28 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>> @trusted and @system are designed to be greppable, i.e. you can look for them
>> without needing a static analysis tool.
>
> But you can't grep for @system because 99% of the time it's implicit. This
> problem becomes harder to find when using templates for everything, which I do.

Add:

    @safe:

at the top of your D module and you'll find the @system code. The D compiler is
the static analysis tool. It's true that @safe should have been the default, but
too much code would break if that were changed. Adding one line to the top of a
module is very doable for those that are desirous of adding the safety checks.

You can also add:

    @nogc:

at the top, too. It isn't necessary to tediously annotate every function.