Andrei's list of barriers to D adoption

Adam D. Ruppe via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jun 7 12:01:15 PDT 2016

On Tuesday, 7 June 2016 at 18:43:12 UTC, jmh530 wrote:
> Are you trying to say that you shouldn't be allowed to do that?
> I get an error when I actually call x.a().

The colon attributes do NOT extend inside aggregates. Putting
@nogc: at the top did not affect my function a(), because it was
inside a struct.

Real world code tends to have a lot of structs and such, so the
claim that you can just slap whatever: at the top doesn't stand
up to scrutiny, even disregarding the other problems like lack of
inversion or backward default.

I wrote more about this a couple months ago here:
http://arsdnet.net/this-week-in-d/2016-apr-17.html

I have actually softened my position somewhat since then, but
still hold to the key point: the default behavior means apathy
ruins the feature. Use a library written by someone who didn't
care to write @nogc, but nevertheless didn't actually use the gc?
too bad.