Andrei's list of barriers to D adoption

Ola Fosheim Grøstad via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jun 7 12:35:57 PDT 2016

On Tuesday, 7 June 2016 at 19:16:13 UTC, ketmar wrote:
> 'cause it simplifies memory management, on all levels... if
> we'll switch to microkernel architecture. but this is very
> off-topic.

Inferno was a MMU-less VM like JVM, but failed miserably to gain
traction... In a micro kernel design all services are moved to
user-space and the privileged kernel is minimal, which suggests
no benefits from GC. Yeah, OT. Except it does reflect the Go
authors preference for weird-and-pointless solutions. Just like
Go's desperate attempt to avoid adding exceptions:
panic-defer-recover, a weird hack that is possible, but not
something that would make anyone satisfied. There are more hacks
like that in Go, like Ds growing slices that suddenly reallocates
behind the scenes.  They seem to follow the guideline «it is
possible, and kind of simplistic, therefore it is a good idea»,
but they are wrong. Go is a mixed bag.