Andrei's list of barriers to D adoption

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jun 7 12:52:40 PDT 2016

On 6/7/2016 11:32 AM, Timon Gehr wrote:
> The @safe subset should be specified and
> implemented by inclusion, such that it is obvious that it does the right thing.
> I don't know what's 'unspecific' about this.
> Closing holes one-by-one is not the
> right approach here. You don't know when you are done and might never be.

I don't see how it is any different painting the fence from one direction or the
other. There are omissions possible either way.

Another issue is implementing such a spec. The "disapproved" list is how the
compiler works, and makes it reasonably straightforward to check the
implementation against the list. It's quite a mess to try to tag everything the
compiler does with approved/disapproved, so you wind up in exactly the same boat
anyway.

In any case, writing such a large specification covering every semantic action
of the of the language is way, way beyond being a bugzilla issue.

If you want to take charge of writing such a specification DIP, please do so.