Andrei's list of barriers to D adoption

qznc via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jun 7 13:07:19 PDT 2016

On Tuesday, 7 June 2016 at 17:19:16 UTC, Wyatt wrote:
> On Tuesday, 7 June 2016 at 08:05:58 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
>> So instead of debating this endlessly, I think this is about
>> the tenth time this has come up in the last two years, why
>> doesn't a group of people who know about GC algorithms get
>> together and write a new one?
>
> In addition to the other answers, it's worth noting that most
> every good modern GC algorithm I can think of requires
> barriers.  Walter has repeatedly and emphatically declared that
> D will not have barriers, so we're kind of SoL on on that
> front.  Java and Go don't have that problem.

Barriers are only necessary if you want a low-latency or
concurrent GC, afaik. I'm not sure if low-latency is worthwhile
for D. If latency is important, you might be better off to
disable the GC (partially). Concurrent is nice for servers, where
you do not care about memory consumption.

D does not even have a precise GC so far and that fruit hangs
much lower. It is a precondition on basically any advanced GC
techniques.