Andrei's list of barriers to D adoption

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jun 7 13:36:40 PDT 2016

On 6/7/2016 1:13 PM, Brad Roberts via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> Yes, it's hard to implement.  Shrug, you signed up for it.

I work on things pretty much on a maximizing benefit/cost basis. Working on
something that has a clear tremendous cost and a benefit that it might close a
hole that nobody has run into after many years of use, puts it near the bottom
of the list of productive things to do.

This is how all engineering projects work.

However, that should not dissuade anyone who believes it is worth their own
effort to work on it, as everyone has their own benefit/cost function.

BTW, it is a nice idea to require mathematical proofs of code properties, but
real world programming languages have turned out to be remarkably resistant to
construction of such proofs. As I recall, Java had initially proven that Java
was memory safe, until someone found a hole in it. And so on and so forth for
every malware attack vector people find. We plug the problems as we find them.