[OT] About GC: The Future of Rust : GC integration

deadalnix via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jun 7 20:50:26 PDT 2016

On Wednesday, 8 June 2016 at 03:45:34 UTC, Jack Stouffer wrote:
> On Wednesday, 8 June 2016 at 03:27:01 UTC, deadalnix wrote:
>> I'm more and more convinced that even RC system should not try
>> to decrement and leak (ie delegate to the GC) when unwinding.
>
> Wouldn't exceptions then still have to be registered to and
> then scanned by the GC? Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose?

GC is only a problem when it collects, which won't happen often
if you don't leak that much. Used as a malloc/free, there is no
reason for it to be slower than a malloc/free (a fast malloc
already needs to be able to find the allocation metadata from
free's argument effisciently, so you you got what you need for a
GC already).