About GC: The Future of Rust : GC integration

Chris via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jun 8 04:57:40 PDT 2016

On Wednesday, 8 June 2016 at 06:19:08 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:
> On Wednesday, 8 June 2016 at 03:10:32 UTC, Eugene Wissner wrote:
>> You can use GC also with C++ if you want. It is all about
>> preferences..
>
> Yes, Inkscape uses the boehm collector, which is the same kind
> of collector D uses. Inkscape feels sluggish.
>
> I've yet to see a large desktop app relying on GC that does not
> feel sluggish.

I've used Inkscape quite a bit and I don't find it sluggish.
Question: did it start to feel sluggish after you found out it
used the Boehm collector or before? Sometimes programs `feel`
fast or sluggish according to what you know about them. Yet
benchmarking can prove your intuition wrong.

[snip]