About GC: The Future of Rust : GC integration

Ola Fosheim Grøstad via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jun 8 05:22:53 PDT 2016

On Wednesday, 8 June 2016 at 12:04:34 UTC, ketmar wrote:
> On Wednesday, 8 June 2016 at 06:19:08 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
> wrote:
>> I've yet to see a large desktop app relying on GC that does
>> not feel sluggish.
>
> i've yet to see a large desktop app that does not feel sluggish.

Well, Atom and Microsoft Visual Code are quite ok, despite using
GC-backed JavaScript. But then again, the core engine is in C++
and the GC is concurrent and the heap probably small.

D's GC does not stand a chance without support for using
partitioned datasets (either by context, fiber or thread) for
large applications that do extensive caching -> 32 GB heap.

Compare this to a language like Pony that has per-actor GC and
can have millions of actors.

The sane and scalable thing to do is associating a GC heap to the
fiber and then use RC for borrowing (references that escape the
fiber are reference counted, keeping the object pinned).