GSlice - Re: [OT] About GC: The Future of Rust : GC integration

deadalnix via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jun 8 10:23:22 PDT 2016

On Wednesday, 8 June 2016 at 11:59:49 UTC, Nick Treleaven wrote:
> On Wednesday, 8 June 2016 at 03:50:26 UTC, deadalnix wrote:
>> (a fast malloc already needs to be able to find the allocation
>> metadata from free's argument effisciently,
>
> BTW GLib (GTK+) have a GSlice API that doesn't allow resizing
> and requires the allocation size to be passed when freeing:
>
> https://developer.gnome.org/glib/stable/glib-Memory-Slices.html#glib-Memory-Slices.description
>
> I wonder if Andrei's allocator API supports freeing with a size
> argument.

Yes, there are many of these initiatives these days. I was
initially enthusiastic, but truth is, nobody has been able to
produce anything that beat tcmalloc or jemalloc (clearly the king
in town these days).

This extra bit of infos seems to be less useful in practice than
you'd naively expect. Someone may come up with something
interesting to do with it someday, but I haven't seen anything
that groundbreaking so far.