Optimizations and performance

default0 via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jun 9 00:02:26 PDT 2016

On Thursday, 9 June 2016 at 06:51:53 UTC, poliklosio wrote:
> On Thursday, 9 June 2016 at 01:46:45 UTC, Dave wrote:
>> On Wednesday, 8 June 2016 at 22:32:49 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
>>> I wouldn't put too much emphasis on that benchmark as the
>>> implementations appear different? Note that Felix compiles to
>>> C++, yet beats C++ in the same test? Yes, Felix claims to do
>>> some high level optimizations, but doesn't that just tell us
>>> that the C++ code tested wasn't optimal?
>>
>> Languages should be fast by default. I always find it missing
>> the point when people go crazy during these benchmarking tests
>> trying to make the code as fast as possible by tweaking both
>> the code and the compiler flags. Go through that effort with a
>> 2 million line app. Tell me how long that takes.
>
> YES +1000

I agree with the sentiment, but you often do want to spend time
finding hot paths in your app and optimizing those. In a 2
million line app, there will not be 2 million lines of code in
the hot path. So figuring out how many tricks you can do to get
something going fast does have quite a bit of value, even for
large apps.