Improving style of error pages of this website

nbro via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jun 9 06:10:45 PDT 2016

Hi!

I've just read this post:

https://dlang.org/blog/index.php/author/dblogadmin/

and I've a few suggestions to improve this website:

1. Error pages are not styled for the tour
(http://tour.dlang.org/). So, for example, if instead of writing
the following currently valid URL "http://tour.dlang.org/" I type
"http://tour.dlang.org//", it gives me a "ugly" 404 error page.
That can be definitely improved.

Not only, and this is even more "critical" for new users. If I
type "https://dlang.org//asdasd" instead of "https://dlang.org/",
the server returns us a "ugly" 404 error page.

At this point, I guess these problems may exist in other parts of
the website.

2. Forums, like this one, could definitely be improved by adding
markdown as a markup language to edit and style posts. There
should also be the possibility to edit already posted questions
and answers, and the edit as well as the original answer or
question should be somehow visible and recoverable, similar to SO.

3. The dlang tour is nice but it could still be improved with an
auto-completion tool (maybe too much advanced for now).

4. These forums require us to provide an e-mail, even if it's
invalid. I don't understand why. We could just do that only
registered users can post and that the e-mail address is visible
only if the registered user wants to show it.

5. Definitely the style of this form as well as of the inputs to
insert our name, e-mail address, etc, are not "pretty"...

Of course these are just "my ideas and suggestions".

I'm not a D programmer yet, but I'm quite excited with this
language, which combines all the nice things of the languages
that I use: Java, C, C++, Python...

Cheers!