Improving style of error pages of this website

nbro via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jun 9 06:16:40 PDT 2016

On Thursday, 9 June 2016 at 13:10:45 UTC, nbro wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I've just read this post:
>
> https://dlang.org/blog/index.php/author/dblogadmin/
>
> and I've a few suggestions to improve this website:
>
> 1. Error pages are not styled for the tour
> (http://tour.dlang.org/). So, for example, if instead of
> writing the following currently valid URL
> "http://tour.dlang.org/" I type "http://tour.dlang.org//", it
> gives me a "ugly" 404 error page. That can be definitely
> improved.
>
> Not only, and this is even more "critical" for new users. If I
> type "https://dlang.org//asdasd" instead of
> "https://dlang.org/", the server returns us a "ugly" 404 error
> page.
>
> At this point, I guess these problems may exist in other parts
> of the website.
>
> 2. Forums, like this one, could definitely be improved by
> adding markdown as a markup language to edit and style posts.
> There should also be the possibility to edit already posted
> questions and answers, and the edit as well as the original
> answer or question should be somehow visible and recoverable,
> similar to SO.
>
> 3. The dlang tour is nice but it could still be improved with
> an auto-completion tool (maybe too much advanced for now).
>
> 4. These forums require us to provide an e-mail, even if it's
> invalid. I don't understand why. We could just do that only
> registered users can post and that the e-mail address is
> visible only if the registered user wants to show it.
>
> 5. Definitely the style of this form as well as of the inputs
> to insert our name, e-mail address, etc, are not "pretty"...
>
> Of course these are just "my ideas and suggestions".
>
> I'm not a D programmer yet, but I'm quite excited with this
> language, which combines all the nice things of the languages
> that I use: Java, C, C++, Python...
>
> Cheers!

Another thing I've just noticed is that there's not "forgot
password" feature when login to this website. I think I once
registered to this website, but I forgot my password, and now
there's no way of recovering it.

Another issue that may exist is that there's no notification and
also subscription system that would tell you about news regarding
a post (but not just necessarily a post) where you're involved
because you had subscribed to it...