Version identifier for PS4

Steven Schveighoffer via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jun 9 06:16:58 PDT 2016

On 6/9/16 9:09 AM, Markus Pursche wrote:
> On Thursday, 9 June 2016 at 12:38:51 UTC, rikki cattermole wrote:
>> On 10/06/2016 12:30 AM, Johan Engelen wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>   PR 5850 is proposing to add a predefined (reserved) version identifier
>>> for the PS4 OS: "PS4" [1].
>>> Thanks for your comment (preferably with an alternative suggestion in
>>> case you don't like "PS4").
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>   Johan
>>>
>>> [1] https://github.com/dlang/dmd/pull/5850
>>
>> "PS4" is really quite short.
>>
>> "PlayStation4" would be far better that way it isn't an acronym.
>
> As the "author"(?) of that pull request I would love to get a discussion
> going.
>
> PS4 vs Orbis vs PlayStation4 so far.
>
> The reason I went for the acronym is that all other tools I could find
> with a reference to PS4 used the acronym, I guess that is a bad reason
> though.
>
> I am open to making another pullrequest with another identifier as long
> as we can get a general consensus about which one to use.

The precedent is to use whatever the OS defines for the host C compiler.

This is the reason we have lower case "linux" for version, which is
inconsistent with other version identifiers, but consistent with Linux's
#define in C code.

So if Sony uses PS4 as a define, I think that's logical to use for the
version statement.

-Steve