Improving style of error pages of this website

Mike Parker via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jun 9 06:28:03 PDT 2016

On Thursday, 9 June 2016 at 13:10:45 UTC, nbro wrote:

> 2. Forums, like this one, could definitely be improved by
> adding markdown as a markup language to edit and style posts.
> There should also be the possibility to edit already posted
> questions and answers, and the edit as well as the original
> answer or question should be somehow visible and recoverable,
> similar to SO.

Currently, the forum is simply a web interface to the D newsgroup
server. It is not not a stand alone forum. There is also a
mailing list interface to the newsgroups. Implementing editing,
markdown, or anything specific to the forums is a bit problematic
because of how it would be reflected in the newsgroups and the
mailing list. That said, I've got a post coming to the blog
tomorrow that will talk about future plans for the forums.

> 4. These forums require us to provide an e-mail, even if it's
> invalid. I don't understand why. We could just do that only
> registered users can post and that the e-mail address is
> visible only if the registered user wants to show it.

Vladimir can answer authoritatively, but I believe this is
because of RFC 850, which requires an email in USENET message
headers.